As the most heavily populated island in the entire country, it makes sense that Long Island would be a hotbed of diversity. But one thing everyone in the area has in common is the need for dental care. Beyond just basic care and treatment, cosmetic dentistry is something that is important for many as well. Here at Island Dental Associates, we’ve found that dental implants are one of the most misunderstood types of cosmetic procedures out there. As such, taking a closer look at them is a good idea.
Dental implants are just what they sound like – permanent implants into your jaw. Instead of traditional dentures that are placed in the mouth using adhesive glue that wears out after a short time, implants are there to stay. This offers numerous benefits including:
- Ability to eat any kind of food
- Feels just like a normal tooth within your mouth
- Looks so real nobody will tell the difference
- Care is identical to real teeth, making it easier to clean your teeth
- No need to invest constantly in adhesive
In other words, you’re getting the closest thing to a real tooth that you can possibly have. And thanks to mini dental implants, the recovery process is shorter and less painful and those who have the procedure done can return to a normal life very quickly.
Here’s a quick rundown of the basic procedure used to place dental implants.
- Molds of your mouth are used to ensure the fabricated denture matches the space it’s being placed into perfectly. Color matching is also done so the tooth doesn’t stand out.
- A small hole is drilled into the jawbone and an anchor point is set into it. With traditional implants, there is a lengthy recovery period afterwards as the mouth heals. But with mini implants, recovery times are short and the rest of the procedure may even be able to take place immediately.
- The denture is then set into the anchor point and attached permanently, giving you a tooth that is perfectly matched to your others.
- You’ll follow basic care and recovery guidelines as explained by your dental professional.
That’s all there is to the process, and it results in a smile that is everything you could hope for. Dental implants are one of the best options out there today, and it’s well worth taking a look at them to see whether or not they’re a good option for you. To learn more, contact us today to set up your appointment and start moving towards your perfect smile.